NIAGARA FALLS, ONT — Saturday, October 5, 2019 @ 10:00 AM EDT
EVENT LOCATION: MacBain Centre (Room A), 7150 Montrose Road, Niagara Falls, ON
Sponsored by: Canadian Taijiquan Federation (CTF), Threads of Gold Tai Chi, and
the Qigong Institute
The Canadian Taijiquan Federation cordially invites our members to the CTF’s third Symposium. THIS IS A FREE EVENT, and current CTF member guests also welcome!
• Presentations start at 10 a.m., to go until noon.
• Attendees will adjourn for lunch at the local Mandarin Chinese Buffet at 7555 Montrose Road, Niagara Falls, ON.
• Thereafter, attendees will then attend the vicinity of the actual Falls for an outdoor Tai Chi practice—Rain or shine. Dress accordingly for the weather.
- “Tai Chi as Qigong” with Sifu Malcolm MacQuarrie, Threads of Gold Tai Chi and Qigong Institute, St. Catharines ON.
- “Daoism in the Martial Arts” with Robert James Coons, ChaYo Tea (online), author of Internal Elixir Meditation: The Nature of Daoist Meditation.
- “Succession Planning for Tai Chi Clubs” with Steven Holbert, Director, Phoenix T’ai Chi Centre, London ON.
- “Tai Chi: A Survey of Origin Accounts and Politics” with Steve Higgins, Principal Instructor, Cold Mountain Internal Arts, Kitchener ON..
As symposium facility capacity is limited, the CTF asks that people register as soon as possible. ~~ We would like to coordinate a group trip! ~~
With Monday, August 6 being a holiday, this week’s Tai Chi session will be held on Thursday, August 9.
Respecting CANADA DAY’s Stat holiday Monday, this week’s Tai Chi session will be held on Thursday, July 5.
HEY EVERYBODY!…. PRETTY SOON…
IT’S OUR FIRST ANNIVERSARY !!!
(so exciting…just can’t wait…)
Queen Vicky’s decree— ” Attention colonials and subjects of the realm, I hereby decree that on the hallowed day of Her Royal Majesty’s birthday celebration, such mystical pagan practices from the farthest reaches of the Empire, is not to be indulged in and be permitted to distract from traditional festivities held on this glorious of days... “
(Hey, ever notice that you just don’t see monarchists and Tai Chi enthusiasts ever in the same room? …. Pssssst, pass it on among the commoners….this coming week, we meet in secret, this Thursday evening (same place, same time)….and shshshsh…don’t say a peep to any monarchists… they will not be amused…
It’s back !!!
The Tai Chi Demonstration Team at this year’s Dragon Boat Festival !!
See the Greater Tai Chi Community Events page for details….
- If you are faint of heart, or just to gosh darn shy
- Not interested in collaborating on a fun team with Tai Chi practitioners, just like you, from other groups
- Not ‘in’ to festivals and their exhibits and food pavilion
- Have no way to get to the island
- Have either or both aquaphobia or insulaphobia
- Are a loner, or believe you might be that day
- Don’t like boats (or anything that floats)
- Don’t like races & cheering, or just don’t like cheering
- Are concerned about the possible abuse of dragons
- Deem celebrating the race of Dragon Boats a form of cultural appropriation
- Are gripped with fear about dragons
- Worried that your Tai Chi gear is not fire retardant
- Disgruntled that betting on the boats may not be officially sanctioned
- Were planning to do some fishing in the area of the race strait
- Scared of riding a ferry (or believe you will relive crossing the River Styx)
- Have a general disdain for travelling into Toronto (and can we blame you? 😉 )
- Despise the Toronto Waterfront as an affront, well, to water
- Have a mortal fear of sea gulls and/or other obnoxious aquatic foul
- Believe you have to sort your sock drawer that day
then either or both participating in this event or taking it all in as a spectator & visitor is not for you...
SESSION FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 16 CANCELLED!
The Master of Balance is not at all well, ailing from a malady many have caught undoubtedly with this topsy-turvy weather of late. We sincerely wish that he masters a speedy recovery. We hope that we resume Monday, April 23.
Meantime, keep on practicing!
Session Date Change for Week of April 2 – 6 ONLY ! In view of the stat Easter Monday, our normally scheduled Tai Chi session is moved to Thursday, April 5. May you find reverence at Easter time, benevolence of dear family & friends, and decadence of quality bunny & egg chocolates!
Session Date Change for Week of February 19 ONLY ! Monday, Feb 19 is the FAMILY DAY Stat holiday. Also known as a very brief reprieve from slogging it through winter’s snow, slush, and biting winds. The normally scheduled Tai Chi session is pre-empted…so that you all can enjoy family re-acquaintance…. As we predict balmy weather on Thursday, February 22— that is when this week’s Tai Chi session of balance, form, and mystique will be held: Same Tai Chi time, same Tai Chi location!
For those of you fearing the potential onslaught of withdrawal symptoms, find your fix in this Saturday’s Tai Chi event celebrating Chinese New Year in Kitchener– see Events page.
Session Date Change for Week of Jan 22 ONLY ! Due to concerns about the forecasted freezing rain for Monday, Jan 22, and the potential this presents to our members and guests, we have rescheduled this week’s session to: Thursday, January 25 at 7 pm. (Essentially same procedure as if Monday were a stat holiday)
Just in time for Christmas! Gift Certificates are now available! See the Home page…
Friendly Reminder – Our sessions resume January 8, 2018
Merry Christmas !
Tai Chi Bradford – Simcoe presented its gracious host, Bradford’s Royal Canadian Legion, with an old hand-carved brass-lined wooden mug bearing the RCAF crest – reportedly carved by a prisoner of war – in gratitude for the support of the Legion and its fine members. As hoped, the mug will be added to the Legion’s fine display of historic relics. Also at the event, the Legion’s very noble Veteran Banner Program was further promoted – founding a new annual tradition of honouring a growing number of local veterans on commemorative banners that will be hung in a colonnade of lamp posts leading into the old village core, in the weeks leading up to Remembrance Day.
See the Events Page for news!…
In an effort to organize two fun group trips that we have an opportunity to enjoy, please visit the Events Page and submit your note of confirmed interest: Canadian Taijiquan Federation Fall Symposium 2017 – Kitchener – Saturday, September 30, 2017 @ 2:00 PM (registration required, no admission fee) Full Autumn Living Workshop – Kitchener-Waterloo – Saturday, October 14, 2017 (registration required, modest group admission fee in negotiation) Spouses, partners, friends, etc. welcome to join the group. See the Events Page for details!… Another Stat Holiday Monday is upon us!… Labour Day, September 4…. Meaning, our Tai Chi session will be moved that short week to Thursday, September 7. September membership fees are being collected on Thursday as well.
Also, tickets are still available as singles and discounted couples pairings for RAISING THE ROOF — see below
June 30, 2017 — CANADA DAY
SCHEDULING ADJUSTMENT As more Tai Chi participants than not appeared to prefer not practicing on the stat holiday Monday, July 3’s session has been moved to Thursday, July 6 at 7 pm. Please pass this news on….. Thank you
June 6, 2017 – NOTICE Traditional Tai Chi sessions for Mondays June 12 and 19 are postponed. Master Chew is away presenting on Tai Chi seminars and finalizing work on a new book on Tai Chi. Meanwhile, please feel free to attend this Thursday’s non-traditional Tai Chi. The traditional Tai Chi sessions shall resume Monday, June 25.
This Thursday’s non-traditional Tai Chi session will be held in the Legion’s courtyard. Access through the west door of the Club Room. Signage ought to be up in advance to direct your path to same.
Please spread the word and attract more people interested in participating in either or both sessions. Standby for special event announcement
Non-traditional Tai Chi with Master Yun tomorrow! Weather-permitting (and the forecast looks pretty good), the second offering of our weekly Tai Chi launches @ 7 pm in the Legion Hall patio and games courtyard- ALL ARE INVITED! Enter from the east side parking lot “Club Room” building entrance, pass through the Club Room quietly to the patio door, and please make sure the door stays unlocked for others following behind you. (We are later to exit via one of the emergency exits to the parking lot for security purposes).
By invitation of Master Chew… And as mentioned by Master Chew at the end of our first session, we are invited to join him and others impassioned with Tai Chi at a “Light of Tai Chi” special gala event:
June 21 at 7:00 pm
8601 Warden Avenue, Unit 4, Markham Meet Tai Chi enthusiasts from all over the world Observe & meet (cordially) two highest-ranking Chinese Martial Artists and many world and Chinese National champions.
Enjoy professional entertainment
The restaurant is touted as “one of the best Chinese restaurants in Canada” (http://www.casavictoria.ca/).
$48/person. See host’s advertisement below. To coordinate a group of us attending, please indicate your interest and intention of attending to TaiChi.Bradford@gmail.com . Thank you
June 11, 2017
Master Chew wishes to share that we have an opportunity to attend upcoming Tai Chi wushu competition being held in Newmarket this coming June 17 (see poster to the left)
June 13, 2017 Non-Traditional Tai Chi Sessions (Thursday) — CANCELLED Master Yun’s Thursday non-traditional Tai Chi sessions are discontinued at the insistence of his outspoken manager, Mrs. Yun.
— Light of Tai Chi Gala Dinner – Almost SOLD OUT —